(mylifeunlock) – The new iPad OS is here.
Called iPadOS 14, it’s compatible with all the same iPad models that were capable of running last year’s iPadOS 13 update.
Read on to see whether your iPad will run it.
What is iPadOS 14?
When Apple debuted iPadOS at its developer conference last year, it only said it was “iPadOS”.
Which Apple iPad is best for you? iPad mini vs iPad vs iPad Air vs iPad Pro
However, it was soon noted the technical version number was iPadOS 13 and that will be superseded by this year’s upcoming release – iPadOS 14. The main thing to realise about iPadOS is that it’s built on the same foundation as iOS – but it has unique, powerful capabilities best suited to the larger display of the iPad.
It also includes almost all iOS 14’s new features – though strangely not the App Library.
You can now download iPadOS 14 alongside iOS 14 and WatchOS 7. Check for it by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
Which iPad models can run iPadOS 14?
iPadOS 14 is compatible with the iPad Air 2 or later. Here’s a list of devices, so you can double-check whether your model will be supported:
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (fourth generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad (seventh generation)
- iPad (sixth generation)
- iPad (fifth generation)
- iPad mini (fifth generation)
- iPad mini (fourth generation)
- iPad Air (third generation)
- iPad Air 2
Want to know more?
Check out our guide on iPadOS 14. We discuss all the big features in detail.
Writing by Dan Grabham.